Illumina is an applied genomics technology company and the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Its products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture, and other emerging segments. Illumina also strives to practice diversity, inclusion, and fairness for all as part of its corporate culture, which led the company to partner with Public Allies to offer philanthropic support and discuss future collaboration.
As a result of this partnership, Public Allies members and alumni recently joined a career advice webinar with Illumina employees, Staff HRIS Analyst Lorri Henderson, Diversity & Inclusion Program Manager Tracey Cooper, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility Sharon Vidal, and Talent Operations Specialist Annika Marks. Presenters shared crucial advice on landing entry-level jobs, both with Illumina and in general.
Tips for Landing an Entry-Level Job
1. Build Transferable Skills: Even if you don’t have a specialized degree, you very likely have skills that could apply to the job. Think back to time spent in volunteer groups, school clubs, national service programs, or similar experiences, and relay those instances where you took leadership.
2. Ask Questions: Don’t be afraid to reach out to leaders within the organization you are interested in working for. Ask as many questions as you need to ensure it would be a good fit for you.
3. Maintain Relationships: If you’ve had a great boss or co-worker, stay in touch! Their mentorship can be invaluable as you advance in your career.
4. Stay Open: Don’t get hung up on the title, or even company, you are applying for. Even when not what you initially had in mind, every job is a learning opportunity and stepping stone.
5. Apply Anyways: The list of qualifications on job listings is primarily a wish list. Very few people check all those boxes, so it’s always worth a try!
6. Be an Ambassador: Companies like Illumina are looking for people who are good ambassadors to the community. Make your presence known with ongoing relationship-building and acts of service.
Career Pathways in Biotechnology
Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Interested in applying your leadership skills and passion for community service to one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies? Explore career opportunities with Illumina.