Website L.A. Works
About L.A. Works: L.A. Works unites Angelenos and inspires action for an equitable LA. As a 501(c)3 nonprofit volunteer action center, we create and manage hands-on community service projects to mobilize volunteers throughout the greater Los Angeles area. We are looking for enthusiastic, experienced individuals who share in our passion for service and our civic pride.
About the role: The Nonprofit Relations Coordinator will oversee an agency-wide effort to increase and improve the availability, quality, and impact of L.A. Works’ volunteer opportunities by building relationships with the nonprofit community to curate the volunteer listings on the L.A. Works website. The seven critical issue areas that the Nonprofit Relations Coordinator will target are: homelessness, food insecurity, education equity, environmental justice/climate change, economic opportunity, disaster preparedness, and health equity.
Essential job functions: The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all roles listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Conduct outreach to nonprofits and community based organizations to ensure that each of the seven critical issue areas have a minimum of 15 volunteer opportunities posted on our website, and available to Angelenos at any given point in time, in order to potentially mobilize up to 20,000 volunteers each year.
- Look for a mix of virtual, in-person, and micro activities for maximum engagement.
- Look for projects/activities that are geographically spread throughout LA County.
- Look for organizations that can communicate with volunteers who do not speak English.
- Review the calendar and place emphasis on opportunities aligned with holidays another anchor dates (e.g.: environmental opportunities during Earth Day in April and food insecurity during Thanksgiving time).
- Craft and manage compelling recruitment postings on our website which include why this volunteer role is needed, who will benefit, and what will be accomplished.
- Act as approver for all postings on our website; ensuring consistency, accuracy on back-end, and compelling language.
- Oversee DOVIA (Directors of Volunteers in Agencies) program, including:
- Organizing quarterly DOVIA activities – social or training.
- Coordinating annual DOVIA education conference.
- Building relationships with DOVIA board and members to strengthen volunteer manager trainings and support.
- Identifying and recommending trainings for nonprofits on volunteer management best practices.
- Facilitating convenings by nonprofit issue area to build nonprofit capacity, knowledge, and shared resources.
- Manage content on seven issue focused landing pages to feature up-to-date opportunities and resources.
- Lead efforts to offer more opportunities that are accessible to Spanish speakers.
- Respond to general inquiries from nonprofit organizations to assist with volunteer listings as well as other general support requested by utilizing and revising partner template emails and partner guides.
- Respond to general inquiries from volunteers, vendors, and community members to assist with connecting to the best fit/opportunity within (or outside) our organization.
- Onboard nonprofit organizations for mutual exploration about their/our work and keep L.A. Works’ database updated with this information as well as facilitate introductions to program departments that could benefit from collaboration.
- Track and manage KPI data on impact of volunteer engagement in referral opportunities, including surveys and volunteer participation.
- Manage nonprofit newsletter with content and contacts to support nonprofits with resources and knowledge sharing.
- Support L.A. Works large-scale signature events and other all-organization wide needs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with a focus on marketing volunteer opportunities in a way that is accessible and engaging for the target audience.
- Collaborative, humble, responds well to constructive feedback, and is a team player.
- Positive attitude with a customer service mindset, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to relate and interact with a diverse team.
- Excellent judgment and sound decision-making skills.
- Motivated self-starter who is able to identify initial and next steps needed and performs well with minimal day-to-day oversight.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to balance multiple competing projects and priorities.
- Flexible with a strong desire to learn.
- Relevant experience in nonprofits and/or managing volunteer programming, including experience in recruitment and engagement;
- Excellent communication skills in , both verbal and written, and the ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders.
- Strong research skills to gather information to identify potential partner organizations and creative volunteer experiences.
- Experience with (or can quickly adopt) Zoom, Google Drive, Microsoft Teams, and Salesforce.
- Participate in an L.A. Works Taskforce (an organization-wide, collaborative team).
In-person support at L.A. Works’ large-scale signature events and other organization-wide commitments when necessary.
- Initiate NSWOP and criminal history check prior to hire.
- Any and all other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Classification and salary: The Nonprofit Relations Coordinator is a full-time non-exempt employee of L.A. Works, is employed at-will, and reports directly to the Director of Community Impact (while she is on maternity, will report to VP of External Affairs). As an employee of L.A. Works, the Nonprofit Relations Coordinator is subject to the policies and procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook. Targeted hiring salary is $53,000.
Salary is commensurate with experience and internal equity. L.A. Works offers a competitive benefit package including health insurance, professional development opportunities, a non-match 401k, and an open vacation policy – we believe you should take the time you need, when you need it! This job description doesn’t constitute a contract of employment and that the company may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
COVID-19 safety: L.A. Works requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exceptions as required by law. All employees are also required to submit to additional masking and social distancing requirements.
This job description doesn’t constitute a contract of employment and L.A. Works may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time. L.A. Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.
To apply: please email a cover letter describing why you are a good fit for this role, along with your resume and a list of references, as a single PDF document to HR@laworks.com.
Background check: As a finalist for a job, you will be subject to a routine background check. The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with L.A. Works. Qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Consumer Reporting Agencies Act and Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
L.A. Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer – L.A. Works encourages all applicants to apply and seeks to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. We define diversity in broad terms to include race, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, geography, socio-economic status and other unique attributes that make us who we are.
To apply for this job please visit www.laworks.com.