“I know what they’re going through, because I went through it.” This is how Felix Moran explains the value he brings to Opportunities for Youth, the organization where he is placed as an AmeriCorps Ally in Phoenix, Arizona. After going to prison at 17 for burglary, Felix struggled to get employment. But he was determined to be a powerful force for good in his community — especially for the countless young adults like him who find themselves without jobs and higher education. That’s why he joined Public Allies, and why he is committed to effectively doing outreach to young people who are facing challenges as he once did. Read and watch his inspiring story. He is just one of thousands of examples of why Public Allies, AmeriCorps, and national service are great investments!
- Public Allies National Leadership Institute August 2017
- AMERICORPS ALUM, FUTURE DOCTOR: MY SERVICE EXPERIENCE MADE ME A BETTER LEADER
- FOR SOMALI-BORN HASSAN DAHIR, HELPING REFUGEES FEEL WELCOMED IN THEIR NEW COMMUNITIES IS DEEPLY PERSONAL WORK
- AFTER MORE THAN A YEAR IN PRISON, YOUNG PHOENIX MAN CHANGED HIS LIFE COURSE AND JOINED PUBLIC ALLIES TO FIGHT FOR DISCONNECTED YOUTH
- CINCINNATI ALLY SEES FRUITS OF HER WORK THROUGH STORY OF MAN WHO HAS BROKEN CHAINS OF UNEMPLOYMENT AFTER PRISON